Let's Try Korean Cuisine (25): Pyongyang-Style Cold Noodle
Pyongyang-style cold noodle is known as a specially tasty cold noodle. A cold noodle, which is known in Japan, is close to the Pyongyang-style noodle. Many Koreans eat this after they eat grilled meat. Let's try it!
Ingredient for four persons
Raw noodles -- 800g
Pork loin -- 200g
White radish -- 200g
Cucumber -- 1
Boiled egg -- 2
Cherries -- 4
Apple -- half
Sliced pepper -- a little
Pine nuts -- a little
*Beef soup -- 7 cups
Sugar -- 1tsp.
Grated garlic -- a little
Vinegar -- 1tsp.
Pepper powder -- 1tsp.
Soy sauce -- 1tsp.
Salt -- a little
(1) Boil pork loin for 15 minutes and then cool down and slice it.
(2) Slice white radish and cucumber into rectangular pieces. Make the white radish soften with in salty water and swish water off.
(3) Cut an egg into half and slice an apple.
(4) Strain beef soup and season it with B
(5) Soak noodles into bolding water for 3 minutes. While boiling them, stir them with chopsticks to prevent them from sticking together. Remove them from the boiling water, cool them in cold water and swish water off.
(6) Put 5 on a container and add apple, pork, egg and cherry in this order.
(7) Add white radish and cucumber, pour the soup and garnish sliced pepper and pine nuts.
Beef soup is regarded as the king of all Korean soups. It is called Yuksu in Korea and is selected for cooking cold noodles.
Muscle of beef -- 300g
Boned beef ribs -- 2
Water -- 5 liters
(1) Wash muscle beef and boned beef ribs well.
(2) Put 1 in water, cook over strong fire just before it boils and then lower the fire. Skim off the scum while keeping it boiling for 2 hours.
Copyright © 1999 The People's Korea. All rights reserved.